Saturday, September 5, 2015

Tissue Lab

In this lab we observed different tissue samples through microscopes and categorized them into the different tissue types. I was able to relate some of my observations from my notes. For example, I could see the different cell types in the epithelial tissue and noticed the cross bands in the muscular tissue. I also saw the differences between the types of muscle tissue. The skeletal muscle tissue were packed together while the cardiac muscle was branched and had space in between the strands. I could also see how spindle shaped cells formed the smooth muscles.
I could see differences between the connective tissue and the muscle tissue. The connective tissue seemed to have different types of cells and was not as packed as the muscle cells, most likely because of the matrix and fluids that make up connective tissue. The nerve tissue had neurons and fibers that differed from the cells of the other tissues. The epithelial tissue looked thinner and the layers were more prominent.
By going through the process of observing and drawing what I saw, I learned the characteristics of each tissue and how those characteristics related to the function. For example, the tissue from the human lung was not densely packed, but was filled with gaps and space, making it easier for the lungs to exchange gases. I also observed how the skin had multiple layers, which is important because it is the first line of defense against outside sources for the body.



Lung sample-epithelial tissue 

No comments:

Post a Comment